The United Kingdoms’s oldest recorded Hospice (£12m T/o) was approaching its financial year end, when its head of finance went on extended sick leave. Faced with no experience in house and, in addition, needing to transition from UK GAAP to FRS 102, the charity decided to appoint an interim.
The accounts for both the Hospice and associated retail company needed to be completed quickly, whilst at the same time transitioning to a new set of (FRS102). In addition, with no Head of Finance, the COO needed someone who could work on their own but also give guidance on finance matters.
- Working closely with the Chief Operating Officer, the Management Accountant and the honorary treasurer completed the statutory accounts for both the Hospice and the Retail Company within the agreed timeframe.
- Built a new statutory accounting model to enable both auditors and operational management to efficiently access and analyse the charities annual accounts
- Reconciled the local accounts to FRS102, explaining all variances for the benefit of the board of directors, in order to speed up the signature process.
- The Management Accountant was concerned as he was not previously involved, but the Interim Executive identified that he was capable, enthusiastic and committed. The Management Accountant predominantly needed mentoring and guidance throughout the year end process.
- Throughout the assignment a full audit plan was maintained and completed. Risk and audit processes were reassessed during the transitional phase, whilst simultaneously completing the statutory accounts and advising on the reporting of the charity’s investments, ensuring greater transparency.
- Auditors Saffery Champness delivered a clean audit report, additionally commenting that the new model made their audit work easier to obtain explanations.
- The interim successfully identified, and made recommendations on investment reporting, year end planning and ultimately addressed control weaknesses inherent across the business which the Group Board had previously been unaware.
- All statutory accounts were completed on time, signed and delivered to the relevant authorities in advance of the required deadlines.
“Thanks a lot. And I really can’t tell you how pleased I am with the outcome, especially given how new you are to the accounts here”. Clare Montagu Chief Operating Officer