- Horus Consulting
The Zoo is the leading primate centre in the UK and was poised to embark upon an ambitious capital programme. However, the collapse of a leading merchant bank meant that the project had to be significantly scaled back.
The Zoo has charitable status but is also involved in education projects, has a retail operation (café & shop) and a mini funfair.
The purpose of the assignment was to:
- Assist the Chief Executive and Trustees with their project plan
- Undertake a detailed financial review as there was severe pressure on cash flow
- Advise the Chief Executive of Key Performance Indicators /metrics which could be useful
Initially brought in to conduct a financial review following the collapse of a major bank and advise how it could complete its major capital project with less cash. The current Finance Director had no experience in this area.
- Discussed key metrics with Zoo’s in the USA and New Zealand. Understood the critical success factors to running a zoo.
- Reviewed the current capital project with the architects and planners
- Reviewed the current income and expenditure of the zoo
- Wrote a report on how the situation could be “turned around”
- Capital Project went ahead at 2/3rds of original expectation
- Implementation of KPI’s to give advance warning of impending issues
- Reposition individuals in roles more suitable to their skill base